Art & Wellness Retreat in Saint-Émilion - 5 Day Retreat
Fri 16th June - Tues 20th June ‘23
This unique retreat is being offered for the first time!
Art & Drawing classes, at different locations in St-Emilion by Karen Iredale Lucas.
Workshops on Nutrition for Longevity with Emma Ellice Flint.
5 days / 4 nights to restore and to energise, with a focus on living well, physically and mentally.
"When I was studying art, my main thesis focused on how art can help improve mental health. Art can awaken the creativity in a person and is a mood enhancer!" Co-host and experienced art tutor, Karen Iredale Lucas M.A. P.G.C.E.
"Having reached midlife, I understand more than ever that looking after my physical and mental health can make a profound difference to my overall sense of vitality." Co-host, experienced Nutritionist & Chef, Emma Ellice Flint
The Retreat venue is the incredible private house 'Maison Des Cordelier', nestled in a quiet back street of the walled town Saint-Emilion.
Guests will gather here for:
- Work on developing their art skills (also out and about in Saint-Emilion)
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Nutrition workshops
- As well as enjoying each others company or sitting in a quiet spot, indoors or in the walled garden, and simply relaxing
Accommodation is a short stroll down the street at L’Auberge de la Commanderie.
Please note that, unfortunately, the hotel does not have disabled access.
To book your place please click here.
If you would like to ask Karen and Emma any questions, please fill out your details on the contact page below, with the email subject line ‘Art & Wellness Retreat’.
About Karen and Emma:
Karen Iredale Lucas M.A. P.G.C.E. is an experienced art tutor for all abilities.
Karen has a wealth of experience in both exhibiting & teaching.
Karen says: "Saint Emilion is a stunning medieval village. The village features limestone buildings that glow at sunset and stimulate the desire to create. The gentle hills around Saint Emilion are full of lush vineyards that undulate over the surrounding fields which are ideal for sketching and painting in watercolours".
"The process of drawing in such an environment allows one to drift away into this picturesque world of golden hues where silence surrounds you, broken only by the occasional dog barking way off in the distance".
You will be shown demonstrations on how to draw, compose and mix colours. Karen will demonstrate techniques in paint application and drawing methods. There will be one-to-one tuition offered during the course of the painting sessions.
If you have previous experience with watercolours and brush techniques, what better place to explore your artistic talent?
Or if you are a beginner, Karen can help you find your sketching skills and guide you in the use of watercolour.
Please bring your own sketch books and materials. See more details here.
Emma Ellice Flint is a clinical nutritionist with a passionate interest in supporting health through food.
During Emma's 12 years of clinic experience she has helped thousands of people and has come to understand which foods make a real difference to our feelings of vitality and why.
Learn from Emma about why these foods are good for your mind and overall body health during the Retreat.
On the Retreat the focus will be plant-based eating with some dairy foods included, displaying the power of food to balance and heal us at all stages, but particularly for longevity and to help support mood.
- Eat together with Emma, Karen and the team.
- Watch cooking demonstrations with Emma and ask her questions.
- Hear why these foods are good for longevity and vitality.
The Retreat House:
The wonderful retreat house, Maison Des Cordeliers, is a private home. You can feel Saint-Emilion's traditional architectural influence here, while enjoying its sympathetic contemporary renovations. Emma says, after visiting the Maison: "it feels so welcoming and I instantly felt relaxed; We all ate outside at the garden table, which was dreamy in the beautiful twilight".
Saint-Emilion is a UNESCO village, just 47km east of Bordeaux, and is renowned for excellent food, wine and beauty.
- Daily morning or afternoon art sessions with Karen as your tutor, suitable for all levels, at locations around Saint-Emilion.
- Nutritional workshop/cooking demonstrations with Emma, all with a focus on longevity and mood balance.
- All nourishing meals included, curated by Emma using locally sourced fresh and seasonal ingredients.
- Early evening apéritif together in the walled garden to reflect and unwind.
- Traditional Saint-Emilion style accommodation in private or shared rooms (all en-suite) at L’Auberge de la Commanderie.
- A guided morning trip to the historic food markets, transport included.
- A guided afternoon walking tour to the nearby vineyard with wine tasting.
What's not included:
- Airfare/transfers/travel to and from Saint-Emilion.
- Travel and medical insurance.
- Parking: Private car parking is available at the hotel, at a pre-booked rate of 25€ per night.
- Art Supplies: Please bring your own art supplies, or alternatively contact Karen, and she will arrange to bring them at an additional cost. See further details here.
We will gather at Maison Des Cordelier for an apéritif to begin the Retreat at 5pm on Friday 16th June. Check-in at L’Auberge de la Commanderie is from 3pm on that day.
Conclusion of the Retreat:
Our final meal together will be a lunch on Tuesday 20th June, after which we will say our goodbyes.
PRICE PER PERSON:
£1295 per person for a shared room
£1595 per person, for a single room
To secure your place, please pay the non-refundable deposit of £400. Follow the link below to pay.
4 weeks before the commencement of the Retreat, on 19th May 2023, payment of your final balance is due.
Karen demonstrated this year in oil paints at Orleans House Stables Gallery and at the Landmark Centre for Richmond Arts Society.
Karen teaches Life Drawing & Painting at Frogmore Paper Mill, Apsley once a month - dates available on meet.up and Frogmore website below.